Monday, January 10, 2005

Swedanish

sometimes i am an idiot. i really try hard too.

working in miami causes me to constantly come across people who do not speak english. spanish only please. this often happens with the grandparents of my youth group students. so when the kids grandparents come to drop them off or pick them up i try my hardest to speak spanish with them- especially if they try to fumble through some english for me.

so. last friday one girls grandma came to drop her off. she was speaking in stilted english while trying to figure out what time to pick her grandaughter up. so i tell her the time in spanish and she stares at me weird. i'm thinking 'my spanish is not great but it's not that bad either' and finally we figure out 8:30.

later the girl tells everyone her grandmother is visiting from Sweden.

ba da da.

oh my.

No comments: